The Soroptimist Live Your Dream Awards (formerly the Women’s Opportunity Awards)assists women who provide the primary source of financial support for their families by giving them the financial resources they need to improve their education, skills and employment prospects.
Each year, more than $1.6 million in education grants are awarded to more than 1,200 women, many of whom have overcome enormous obstacles including poverty, domestic violence and/or drug and alcohol abuse. Live Your Dream Awards recipients may use the cash award to offset any costs associated with their efforts to attain higher education, such as books, childcare, tuition and transportation.
In addition to providing the primary financial support for their families, eligible applicants must be enrolled in, or have been accepted to, a vocational/skills training program or an undergraduate degree program and must demonstrate financial need. Also, please note only residents of Soroptimist International of the Americas’ member countries and territories are eligible to apply for the educational grants.
The Live Your Dream Awards involves three levels of cash awards. The program begins at the local Soroptimist club-level, where award amounts vary. Local-level award recipients then become eligible for region-level awards of either $3,000 or $5,000. Region-level award recipients then become eligible to receive one of three international-level awards of $10,000.
Since the Live Your Dream Awards program began in 1972, about $30 million in education grants have been disbursed to assist tens of thousands of women achieve their dreams of a better life for themselves and their families. In 2007, the program received the Associations Advance America Summit Award—ASAE & The Center for Association Leadership’s highest level of recognition.
You are eligible to apply for the Soroptimist Live Your Dream Awards if you:
- Provides the primary financial support for yourself and your dependents. Dependents can include children, spouse, partner, siblings and/or parents.
- Has financial need.
- Is enrolled in or has been accepted to a vocational/skills training program or an undergraduate degree program.
- Is motivated to achieve your education and career goals.
- Resides in one of Soroptimist International of the Americas’ member countries/territories (Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Guam, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Northern Mariana Islands, Palau, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Taiwan, United States of America, Venezuela).
- Has not previously been the recipient of a Soroptimist Women’s Opportunity or Live Your Dream Award.
- Does not have a graduate degree.
- Is not a Soroptimist member, an employee of Soroptimist International of the Americas or immediate family of either.
- Has a Social Security number or Tax ID number. (This is required for tax purposes and is only necessary if you are a resident of the United States. You will not be asked to share this information unless you have been given an award.)
Applying for a Live Your Dream Award
Get an overview of how to apply, how to strengthen your application, and what to expect after you apply.
What are the Live Your Dream Awards?
Connecting to a local club
Completing an application
Quick tips for applying
What happens after I apply?
Now that you have determined that you eligible to apply for the Soroptimist Live Your Dream Awards, you are ready to begin the application process.
Preparing your application
Here are a few things you can do to prepare your application:
- Plan who your references will be: No need to collect letters; we provide an online reference form. Until then, think about who your two biggest cheerleaders are … they can be mentors, teachers, counselors, supervisors, colleagues, or case managers.
- Draft your personal statement: The Live Your Dream Awards are all about helping women who have faced obstacles on the path to living their dreams. Since 1972, the award has provided tens of thousands of women with cash grants to help them achieve their educational and career goals. In 750 words or less, tell us how you think this could help you live your dream.
- Mark your calendar: The Application Portal is open August 1st – November 15th each year.
These documents must be submitted online in order for your application to be considered eligible. Click below to start your Application.
Application Deadline Is: November 15th
Interested in applying for the Live Your Dream Awards?
Please contact email@example.com for any questionsFollow us on Social Media: